Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Finals Series #1: Studying Tips

This is a list of tips that are tried and true. They work for me, and maybe they'll work for you (wow I'm so good at rhyming). 
  • Set a timer for 45 minutes. Study, work, whatever you would like to call it during these 45 minutes. Once the timer goes off, set another timer for 5 minutes. During these 5 minutes, relax. Read, use your phone, etc. Repeat this until you are done studying for the night.
  • If you have a cell phone, put your phone out of your direct reach (right next to you) and flip it over. This way, you can hear when the timer goes off and if it rings because you're getting a call, but you won't see the screen light up for notifications.
  • Close all other tabs on your computer except for the one you're using. If you have to transfer an essay from lined notebook paper to typed, only keep Word or whatever program you use open. If you're using the Internet, close out other tabs that you had open that aren't necessary for you to complete the task.
  • A little studying is better than none. Remember that.
  • Study in a relatively quiet place, if that helps you. I like to study on my bed because I can be comfortable, my room is quiet, and I have plenty of room to spread out binders, textbooks, etc.
  • Create a studying playlist on your phone, iPod or MP3 player, or on YouTube. Choose chill music. Some of my favorites are: The Love Club by Lorde, Midnight City by M83, The Bird and the Worm by Owl City, Good Life by OneRepublic, Counting Stars by OneRepublic, and 5 Years Time by Noah and The Whale.
  • Stretch every so often. I don't know if this is something I do out of force of habit (I stretch at cheer and at home), or just to relax a little, but it helps.
  • Eat healthy snacks when you study. I stay away from soda (diet or regular), chips, candy, ice cream and whatnot. Instead, I like to have fruit, smoothies, relatively healthy types of crackers, etc.
  • Have a glass or bottle of water next to you at all times when you're studying. Water is, of course, very good for you, and if you're falling asleep, you can splash a little on your face (:
  • If it helps you, study with people that are in your same class. Meet up at a coffee shop or something and review together. You may catch things from others that you didn't get yourself. This is helpful if you've missed class. However, make sure that all of those people are people that you know want to study. Make sure to think about how much work you will actually get done with them. Afterwards, reward yourself! Go shopping, get some exercise, eat a sweet treat, go to the movies, whatever sounds relaxing to you.
I hope you enjoyed my studying tips! Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment